You are here

Possible fix for extremely low FPS

Pages

Fireman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Possible fix for extremely low FPS
#1 Submitted: Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:33

This is going to sound weird, but having the Stereo-mix disabled is causing the drop in FPS (for me atleast). Is your PC good and should it be able to play this game at High but are you getting insane low FPS? Try this.

I went out of the game, turned it (Stereo mix) off, went back in, 0-3 FPS (I changed NOTHING in the settings). Went back out the game, enabled the Stereo mix (it's when you right-click that speaker icon and go to "Recording devices --> Recording --> Show Disabled devices --> Enable Stereo mix"), again I didn't change anything on the settings and it worked flawlessly on the highest settings with more than 30 FPS.

Now you wonder but why the fuck did you enable the Stereo Mix in the first place, well because I want to play SW: Battlefront II.

If this fix works for anyone else please let me know.

PS. From what I've read from the SW: Battlefront II pages, plugging in (or enabling) a microphone should also do the trick.

EDIT: Well, doesn't look like the above is exactly true, I don't know what's going on with my PC anymore. Turned ot off again and it still continued to work fine with 30 FPS.

Edited by: Fireman on 31/03/2014 - 23:49
DoktorMandrake's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:47

I can't find stearo mix anywhere, I've looked where you said and I've ticked 'Show Disabled Devices' but can't see Stearo Mix anywhere :-\

[img][/img]

Edited by: DoktorMandrake on Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:48
Fireman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:51

Probably because you don't have Realtek HD Audio, the stereo mix seems to be part of that (certain sound cards have it)

Either way I think you can discard this (unless you want to play Battlefront II) as after a few times shutting it on and off it runs with the settings off as well now.

Maybe my PC is retarded, but if it does work for anyone, would still be nice to know so decided not to remove the main post.

Edited by: Fireman on Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:52
DoktorMandrake's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Mon, 31/03/2014 - 23:59

Fireman wrote:
Probably because you don't have Realtek HD Audio, the stereo mix seems to be part of that (certain sound cards have it)

Either way I think you can discard this (unless you want to play Battlefront II) as after a few times shutting it on and off it runs with the settings off as well now.

Maybe my PC is retarded, but if it does work for anyone, would still be nice to know so decided not to remove the main post.

Ah okay, I've just had a look and yeah, can't see the word Realtek anywhere but it does appear to be HD audio though? just says 'High Definition Audio Device'

[img][/img]

weird how it gave you FPS gain, still you can't complain though and this might help other people out with same problem :)

I turned my Areo off and I'm using Windows Classic view atm since the game seems to use alot of ram and alot of VRAM

Edit: I'm gonna try disabling that Digital Audio below Speakers in the screenshot, as I'm not actually sure what it is TBH, maybe my monitor built in speakers?

Edited by: DoktorMandrake on Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:02
Fireman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:10

DoktorMandrake wrote:

weird how it gave you FPS gain, still you can't complain though and this might help other people out with same problem :)

Yes that's my main problem now,I REALLY want to find out what changed between yesterday and today. I don't have automatic updates so it couldn't have been that, I haven't updated anything else, I installed some games but they didn't come with anything new (no new version of DirectX or anything).

With FRAPS on I record with 30 FPS now, compared to the 1 FPS I prevously recorded and the 1-5 FPS I had while
playing

Also it says: Realtek High Definition Audio to me. What kind of audio card do you have, Sigmatel?

I did also turn all the settings in the Visual menu (in-game) off and then on again, you could try that.

Edited by: Fireman on Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:11
DoktorMandrake's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:17

Fireman wrote:
DoktorMandrake wrote:

Yes that's my main problem now,I REALLY want to find out what changed between yesterday and today. I don't have automatic updates so it couldn't have been that, I haven't updated anything else, I installed some games but they didn't come with anything new (no new version of DirectX or anything).

With FRAPS on I record with 30 FPS now, compared to the 1 FPS I prevously recorded and the 1-5 FPS I had while
playing

Also it says: Realtek High Definition Audio to me. What kind of audio card do you have, Sigmatel?

I did also turn all the settings in the Visual menu (in-game) off and then on again, you could try that.

Well under Network adapters in Device Manager it says 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' but under 'Sound, video and game controllers' it says 'High Definition Audio Device' So yeah, I dunno I'm guessing Network adapters is something to do with my GPU since it says PCIe?

As for automatic updates, isn't that just more of a security thing for Windows more then anything? It's best to have your update for your OS

fraps possibly won't help with the FPS, I was using MSI afterburner to monitor FPS as well as GPU and CPU usage but I was getting frames of like 5-10fps, I don't know what fps I'm getting now but I wouldn't say they go below 20fps

specs
i5 3.20ghz
gtx 760 superclocked 2GB VRAM
8GB RAM
500GB HDD

Edited by: DoktorMandrake on Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:19
Deamon's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 00:22

I have Realtek Onboard HD Audio and just enabled the Stereo Mix device. I play at high graphics and the game seemed to run smoother, specially at the start of the race, when I normally get most stuttering ... Could be in my head though.

Carmageddon UNlimited Team For all your wrecking needs!
"All prey keep left. Fellow raptors keep up."
TDR2000 MAX-Pack A community add-on pack.

Darius_bd's picture
Fluffy Bunny
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 07:17

Uhm, I have Realtek Audio stuff too but I play on a TV using the audio pass-trough of the HDMI cable, bypassing the Realtek suite, and it plays just nice. Maybe someone with low fps and a tv could try playing through the HDMI cable?

RadiationMutt's picture
Norman E. Carnage
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 07:54

It seems to work for me. If sounds are the problem it may be related to same bug as in the very first release with repair stutter after car selection.

Fireman's picture
Piledriver
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 11:01

Deamon wrote:
I have Realtek Onboard HD Audio and just enabled the Stereo Mix device. I play at high graphics and the game seemed to run smoother, specially at the start of the race, when I normally get most stuttering ... Could be in my head though.

It should be very noticeable, atleast it was for me, so I'm not sure if it's just this that made it run smooth. I don't THINK I've changed anything else, but you know PC's, they're always changing.

When I was googling for solutions to make SW: Battlefront work, other solutions were:

Quote:
Enable Stereo Mix
Right-click the volume/speaker icon in your system tray, and select Recording devices. (If you don’t have the icon in your system tray, open Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Sound → Recording.)
Right-click and select View Disabled Devices. The device Stereo Mix appears.
Enable the Stereo Mix device.
Start the game.
If that doesn’t solve the issue, try the next suggestion.
/
Use a mic & headphones
Plug in a microphone into the microphone jack.
Plug in headphones into the headphone jack.
Right-click the volume/speaker icon in your system tray, and select Recording devices. (If you don’t have the icon in your system tray, open Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Sound → Recording.)
Set Microphone as the default input device.
Switch to the Playback tab.
Set Headphones as the default audio playback device.
Start the game.
If that doesn’t solve the issue, try the next suggestion.
/
Realtek: Disable front panel jack detection
If you have an Realtek onboard sound card, this might help:

Double-click the orange volume/speaker icon in your task bar. This opens the HD Audio Manager.
Click on the folder icon in the upper right edge.
Check Disable front panel jack detection. This forces the driver to load microphone support even without a mic plugged in. Close the top-most window.
In case you’re using the digital output, make sure that the Digital Output device is set as the default. To do that, click on Digital Output in the upper bar and on Set Default Device next to the volume adjuster.
Start the game.

RadiationMutt wrote:
It seems to work for me. If sounds are the problem it may be related to same bug as in the very first release with repair stutter after car selection.

Did you notice a huge difference? Because before it was unplayable for me with pedestrians (0-5 FPS) until I did, whatever I did, then it ran smooth even with pedestrians.

Edited by: Fireman on Tue, 01/04/2014 - 11:04
wiski's picture
Cunning Stunt Licker
Kickstarter Backer
Submitted: Tue, 01/04/2014 - 11:32

I tried the Stereo Mix and it didn't make a difference for me. On Countryslide I had previously benchmarked at about 17fps and with Stereo Mix on I benchmarked at an average 15.589fps (min 8-max 22, medium settings)

Pages